Lore Question: Creature comparisons - Game to Lore

1. FireSlayerx

FireSlayerx Active Member

So in doing some work on Kinu's extended bio/autobiography, I came across a question about the creatures of Minecraft and how they may compare to those in the Lore. Namely, I could find references to Skeletons and Zombies (of many various kinds) in the Bestiary, however, I've never come across references to Spiders of such scale as those found in Minecraft, or at least, when there may be a reference it is an isolated occurrence. And of course no mention of Creeper-like creatures that I could find.
    So my question is, are the creatures found on Vesperus native to Ves, or are they direct copies to some of the creatures of Erebus, or perhaps distorted reflections that result in the Giant spiders and such.

So to go through the list of mobs and what I am understanding:
    Firstly I'm going to lump Zombies and Skeletons together because, aside from some of the variations of zombies, they are similar in creation, that is they are creations of man. So I wonder if they are natively and naturally found on Vesperus, via the magical reflection/powers that caused Ves, or via some other method. Or if it is to be assumed that some other being(s) has specifically created them to wreak havoc on the land, or some such reason.
    As for Spiders, firstly I wonder if there are any references to one or multiple species of spiders on Erebus that grow to such large sizes as those on Ves? Otherwise, I would think that either, in the same vein as a possible explanation for the two above, the magical reflection is responsible for their freakish size, or they are some strange type of Spider that is somehow native to Vesperus.

And Creepers.. Well, who knows what's up with them. I would guess that they are a kind of bi-product/creation that came from the magical event that resulted in Ves. Or they are some wild aberration of Pyre zombies.

Essentially, lore peeps, Surrender thine knowledge unto me!

2. bcoker345

bcoker345 New Member

There is a lot of reference's to spiders in erebus. Specifically as it relates to me there are the Marautule. Which is a spider that slips into the victims mouth while they are sleeping. Has some weird mind affects and are servant of ceridwen

3. FireSlayerx

Right, I have seen references to spiders themselves, my main point of interest in regards to the spiders was if there were references to spiders as large as those on Ves/IG (AKA: Approx. the size of a person), since most, if not all, the references I have seen were to spiders of comparable size and nature to those found IRL. Like you mentioned, the Marautule, which one would expect is no larger than, say, a commonly-sized huntsman spider, and more likely much smaller in size, as it would need to enter the mouth (as is mentioned), and more importantly, latch onto the larynx without causing enough obstruction of the airway such that the victim would investigate (despite the possible mind-altering that it causes/employs), which would point to it being fairly small.

4. bcoker345

bcoker345 New Member

Although not entirely sure what your asking. There are refrences to giant spiders.

GIANT SPIDER
    How these creatures managed to grow so big and fierce in the bleak and infertile Ice Age is something of a mystery, but the unwary travelers who stumbles upon a giant spider will have little time to consider such frivolities

5. FireSlayerx

Just for reference to anyone else who looks at this, ^ this can be found on page 21 of the compendium.

Also, after hearing about the Giant spiders, as above, I did some light wiki searching and found a teenie bit more about them. I'll just quote and link first of all.
    So it appears that (and this is my understanding having not ever played a game of FfHII Civ) the Giant Spiders (I'll refer to them as the "spiders" from here on) are a type of naturally spawning creature that can be found in jungles and forests (and "Ancient Forests" but I am unfamiliar with their concept). The page also says that the spiders are invisible, though I expect in the Lore (as opposed to the game mechanics) the idea is that they are just proficient at hiding in the forested/jungle areas that they inhabit.

So, after reading these things, I'm inclined to now assume that the spiders found on Vesperus are a reflection/variation of the Giant Spiders that are found on Erebus, and by extension, that perhaps the Cave Spiders on Ves are also a variation of the Giant Spiders, considering both their relatively large size, and their venomous nature/poison-inflicting bites.

And now, we have some reasonable speculations for the existence of the Skeletons, Zombies, and Spiders found in-game on Vesperus (of course, Loremaster(s), if you want to chime in, by all means, shed the "Official Lore Light" on the situation). So I'd be interested in anyone who's willing to speculate's ideas on the subject.

EDIT: I forgot to link the wiki page. Here.

Skin By Dragonbyte Tech
Original theme by DragonByte Technologies